We offer a range of kind, fun and force-free dog training classes that set you and your dog up for success!
Group classes include Puppy Schools, Junior/Intermediate courses and our Advanced classes, which include the Kennel Club Good Citizens Dog Scheme (Bronze, Silver and Gold awards).
We also offer UK Sniffer Dog courses and Enrichment Workshops
Please scroll down for more information about each class.
Good training will ensure your puppy or dog is well socialised, well mannered and obedient in all real life situations both on walks and around the home. We believe that all training should be positive and fun to ensure your dog is motivated by your rewards of play, affection, bonding and treats. All our classes are complimented by our qualified behavioural education in which we also aim to help you better understand your dogs behaviour, the basic principles of psychology, read body language and communicate effectively with your dog so that you can encourage their good behaviour throughout life.
A variety of dog training methods
Each dog is wonderfully unique, and motivated by different rewards, games and praise. To ensure every breed is encouraged and motivated to learn, we use the full range of positive training methods available. This includes 8 different training techniques including lure and reward, games, clicker training, capturing, stimulating, free-shaping, targeting, premack principle and 300 peck to name a few.
Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme
Walkies & Waggietails is part of the Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme, teaching up to the Gold Award Level. Bronze, Silver and Gold exams are part of the Progressive/Advanced level training classes.
Dog Training Class Times and Location
All our dog or puppy training classes are held on Monday & Tuesday evenings in the Kew Pavilion, Darrell Road, Richmond, TW9 4LB. This is easily accessible from Kew, Richmond, Twickenham, Isleworth, St Margaret’s, Mortlake, Sheen, Barnes, Chiswick and Hammersmith.
Puppy Prep School
Puppy schools can help provide positive socialisation experiences and encourage good behaviour while your pup is in the key learning stages of their development.
This seven week course will focus on providing you with the knowledge and ability to teach your puppy basic life skills that will ensure they grow into the happy, well- balanced and mannered dog you have always wanted.
During the course, you and your puppy will learn the following:
- Basic positions such as sit, lie-down, stand-up, stay and settle.
- Basic food and toy manners preventing possession, including ‘leave’ and ‘off’.
- Good ‘meet & greet’ manners that prevent jumping up and mouthing.
- Good lead manners and loose lead walking.
- Socialisation with people and playmates.
- Guiding appropriate play with other dogs.
- Toilet training.
- Crate training.
- Safe handling, grooming and health inspections.
- Learning to communicate with your dog, and reading their body language.
- Health and Nutrition
- Learn about the 10 key development stages that affect your pups learning and behaviour.
Age requirement: 8 – 18 weeks at the course start date (must have vaccination certificate)
Course Length: 7 weeks
Price per course: £161.00
Location – Kew Pavillion Hall, Darrell Road, Kew
June/July start date – Fully Booked
August – starts Tuesday 25th August @ 6.30pm – Fully Booked
October – starts Tuesday 13th October @ 6.30pm – Fully Booked
December – starts 1st December : 6.30pm (christmas hols 21-31st Dec) – booking now open
The aim of our junior and intermediate course is to build upon and improve your basic skills , adapting them to real-life situations and advancing your dogs response in any place, any time.
At this stage, we also introduce the use of clicker training and aspire to help you further understand the basic principles behind canine learning theory so that you can positively and effectively communicate with your dog.
All dogs are welcome to join this class from four months of age with no upper age limit. However, if your dog has no prior training, we may advise a one to one starter session before-
The junior/intermediate course includes:
- Understanding the basic principles of canine psychology and learning theory
- Development of basic skills such as sit, stay, down and heel to advance response times in any given circumstance and ‘real-
- Introducing clicker training
- Teaching and progressing retrieve, drop, and give
- Achieving good loose lead walking and heel throughout your walks.
- Improving impulse control such as leaving food, preventing jumping up and giving up toys.
- Learning door and car manners.
- Improving meet and greet on walks and visitors arriving at home.
- Generalising all the above behaviours to many different locations and situations and distractions
- Reducing the dependency on food for behaviours.
- Encouraging different types of play and games or training, rewards and bonding
Age requirement: Minimum 4 months with no upper age limit
Course Length: 8 weeks
Price per course: £184.00
Location: Kew Pavillion Hall, Darrell Road, Kew
June /July – Monday or Tuesdays @ 7pm – Both courses Fully Booked
August – starts Tuesday 25th August @ 7.30pm – Fully Booked
October – starts 20th October @ 7.30pm – Fully Booked
January – starts 5th Jan @ 7.30pm – booking now open
Progressive/ Advanced Dog Club
Our Progressive dog club is for those dogs and owners who want to keep learning new things and progressing their repetoire of skills. The weekly clubs are packed with a variety of fun such as trick training, scent tracking, free-shaping, enrichment and doggie parkour (quirky urban agility) mixed in with the Kennel Club Good Citizes obedience courses bronze, silver and gold. Members chose to take their KCGCDS tests as and when they feel ready.
The dog club classes include:
- Kennel Club Good Citizen Awards – Bronze/Silver/Gold
- Progression to more advanced obedience skills
- Fun tricks
- Doggie Parkour
- Scent tracking
- Advanced clicker training with Freeshaping
Members of the dog club must have completed our Junior/ Intermendiate training course or achieved a Bronze level Kennel Club Good Citizens award.
Weekly ongoing class held at:
8.30pm on a Tuesday evening. – Fully booked (waiting list available)
7.30pm on Monday evenings – starting an additional progressive club on Monday evenings due to popular demand. There are now only 2 places left available in this group, which starts on the 13th October 2020.
UK Sniffer Dogs Bronze Level Scent Detection
A six week scent detection course for domestic dogs as a fun learning, bonding and enrichment game.
We all know that sniffing is an activity our dogs love. A huge part of their brain is focussed on sniffing and 70% of their communication with each other is olfactory. The act of sniffing and detection is hugely self-rewarding for dogs. Why not help our dogs use their nose and enjoy playing games in detection and problem solving to improve mental stimulation and enrichment in their lives.
The Scent detection 6 week course includes:
- Teach your dog to search and indicate a chosen scent
- Carry out pipe and bag searches
- Great mental stimulation and enrichment for your dog
- Learn all about your dogs amazing nose and how to use it
- Build a stronger bond between you and your dog as you work closely together on their favourite activity
- Bronze level UK Sniffer Dogs certificate
- Taught by UK Sniffer Dogs Instructor Emma Turner
Age Requirment: Minimum 8 weeks with no maximum age limit
Course Length: 6 weeks
Location: Kew Pavillion, Darrell Road, Kew
Monday 24th August@ 8.15pm: 1 place left