We offer a range of dog training classes including Puppy School, Junior/Internmediate and our Progressive training classes. All our dog training classes are held in the Posh Pups grooming salon in our new purpose built training area in Kew.
Scroll down or click the buttons below for more information about all each class.
Quick links, jump to:
Why train your dog?
Good training will ensure your dog is well socialised, and is mentally and physically stimulated to become a well adjusted and happy companion. It should also celebrate and use your dogs’ special character and personality.
We believe that all training should be positive and fun to ensure your dog is motivated by your rewards of play, attention and treats. We also aim to help you communicate effectively with your dog, through body language and basic canine psychology.
A Variety of training methods
Each dog is wonderfully unique, and motivated by different rewards, games and stimulus. To encourage each four legged individual, we practise the full range of positive training methods available. This includes lure and reward, clicker training, capturing, stimulating, free-shaping and 300 peck.
Clicker training and Free-shaping
We introduce clickers’ in our Junior and progressive classes as a more advanced technique of training. When used in the right way, the sound of the clicker will become the most exciting noise and reward available, and your dog will learn to love those clicks! By using clickers, we can shape your dog into some of the most fun tricks and exciting games that encourages free thinking and fuels the mind.
Remember that clicker training is just one of the many techniques we teach, and it’s most important that we find the most effective method for you and your dog.
Puppy Prep School
Puppy schools can help provide positive socialisation experiences and encourage good behaviour while your pup is in the key learning stages of their development.
This eight week course will focus on providing you with the knowledge and ability to teach your puppy basic life skills that will ensure they grow into the happy, well-
During the course, you and your puppy will learn the following:
- Learn about the 10 key development stages that affect your pups learning and behaviour.
- Basic positions such as sit, lie-
down, stand- up, stay and settle.
- Basic food and toy manners preventing possession including ‘leave’ and ‘off’.
- Good meet & greet manners that prevent jumping up and mouthing.
- Good lead manners and loose lead walking.
- Socialisation with people and playmates.
- Guiding appropriate play.
- Toilet training.
- Crate training.
- Safe handling, grooming and health inspections.
- Learning to communicate with your dog, and reading their body language.
- Health and Nutrition
The aim of our junior and intermediate course is to help you improve basic skills to better advance your dog’s response in any given situation.
At this stage, we also introduce the use of clicker training and aspire to help you further understand the basic principles behind canine learning theory so that you can positively and effectively communicate with your dog.
All dogs are welcome to join this class from four months of age with no upper age limit. However, if your dog has no prior training, we may advise a one to one starter session before-
The junior/intermediate course includes:
- Understanding the basic principles of canine psychology and learning theory
- Development of basic skills such as sit, stay, down and heel to advance response times in any given circumstance and ‘real-
- Introducing clicker training
- Learning the emergency stop.
- Teaching retrieve, drop, and give.
- Achieving good loose lead walking and heel throughout your walks.
- Improving impulse control such as leaving food, preventing jumping up and giving up toys.
- Learning door and car manners.
- Improving meet and greet and visitors arriving at home.
- Generalising behaviours to many different locations and situations.
- Reducing the dependency on food for behaviours.
Progressive dog training
Just an hour a week of ‘quality time’ with your beloved furry friend will really show in your mutual loving relationship and their response to you as their guide and parent.
Our Progressive dog training classes are for those owners who would like to keep improving with their dog on a weekly basis, building their repertoire of skills and enhancing the dog and owner bond in a positive way. We also add lots of fun stuff into the mix, including neat little tricks, games and agility.